The School: Montpelier Primary
Ealing-based Montpelier Primary School have been expertly developing eight core enterprise skills for three years, not only in school through a range of Lesson-Time Projects and Challenge Days – for example, their memorable Operation Moonbase last year – but also outside the classroom in a series of employer visits to top businesses across London. Today it was the turn of Year 4 students to put their Problem Solving and Leading skills to the test in the world of work. Let’s find out how they got on…
The Business: Hounslow Highways
Hounslow Highways is the highways service provider working on behalf of the London Borough of Hounslow, responsible for maintaining the roads, pavements and street lighting across the borough, as well as providing a number of other key services including street cleansing, winter maintenance and enforcement.
Since the Hounslow Highways contract started, they have been working hard to improve the appearance and quality of Hounslow’s streets. In recent years, they have resurfaced 141km of roads, renewed 206km of pavements and installed 14,483 new LED street lights. Today volunteers Ata and Mariola were on hand to support Montpelier’s budding Human Resouces teams with all their expertise.
The Challenge: Recruitment Race
The day started off with an extremely insightful tour of the premises led by Mark at Hounslow Highways, where the students learnt a lot about the extensive range of vehicles, the eco-friendly ethos and the safety rules that Hounslow Highways practises. The teams were then set their challenge for the day: to fill up three job vacancies at Hounslow Highways as a new cleaner, finance manager and receptionist were needed. The six teams of 8- and 9-year olds spent some time thinking about what skills and attributes the perfect Hounslow Highways employee might have, before carefully watching and reviewing a series of interviews: six possible candidates for the three jobs, but only one final hiring decision as a group.
After supporting the students fantastically throughout the day, Ata & Mariola then turned into judges for the final part of the challenge, where they were particularly impressed by the high standard of the students’ presentation skills as well as their overall teamwork and confidence. Students explained their choices, including detailed reasons why they had selected each candidate and using persuasive language to win over the judges. Montpelier’s aspiring recruiters did such a great job that each student walked away with not just one, but two different awards for the skills they showed on this challenge!
What they said:
- “Children were involved and engaged throughout the day, and after today’s experience I think they gained a lot in terms of making decisions, collaborating, and problem-solving skills. Also, EE was fantastic at organising the whole day, because things don’t just happen like that, and you guys were brilliant!” – Teacher, Montpelier Primary
- “I always have fun doing this – I would highly recommend it to anyone who works in a company!” – Volunteer, Hounslow Highways
- “I like doing Enabling Enterprise because it’s fun every year! You get to do a lot of teamwork and you’re not by yourself.” – Student, Montpelier Primary
- “We have faced tough challenges today, but we have fought hard to overcome them.” – Student, Montpelier Primary
- “This was the best trip ever!” – Student, Montpelier Primary
Thanks to Hounslow Highways for such a great trip day, and to the Year 4 students from Montpelier Primary School for coming along and making it so enjoyable.
Enabling Enterprise are working in partnership with schools and businesses to support students to build enterprise skills and aspirations. Find out more by contacting us or visiting enablingenterprise.org